Saturday, February 2, 2008

A Prophet in Jamaica


Here is my tribute. There are two men that I have never "personally" met yet they have had an extremely personal affect on my life thus far. The Lord Jesus Christ and President Gordon B. Hinkley.

While serving as a missionary in Jamaica President Hinkley visited the island on his way to dedicate a temple in Brazil. All of the missionaries and membership of the church and many others gathered to an outdoor amphitheatre in Kingston. This was the first time that a prophet of God had set foot on the island. Sister Hinkley, President Faust, and President Hinkley all spoke to the congregation in that order. Towards the end of President Faust's address I looked up at President Hinkley as he sit on the stage. His eyes were closed, his head was bowed, and he was mouthing the words of a prayer to Heavenly Father. I will in no way ever forget that sight and the feeling that came over me as I watch a prophet speak to his Heavenly Father. I suppose that he was petitioning with the Lord for the nation and it's people and asking for inspiration as to what these people needed to hear.

As missionaries we had an idea of what issues the Jamaicans face personally and as a nation. When President Hinkley spoke to the congregation and he addressed all of those issues and gave counsel that we knew our people needed to hear. President Hinkley is absolutely a prophet of God. He spoke to Him and for Him that day.

1 comments:

Shani said...

Pres. Hinckley was without a doubt an inspired man! He was a perfect example of love and Christ. I will live my life trying to live like he did!